Friday, April 17, 2020

Covid19 show and tell via emails for March meeting





For those of you who missed our Email show and tell that Karen started back in March. Here it is to enjoy again.

Our March meeting was going to be a good one. But Covid-19 prevented us from gathering at our local meeting place and we decided to cancel this months dye presentation by Dawn. We were going to be dyeing our stitched fabric from the February Meeting. 

Here are pictures of what our vat was going to look like. Dawn spent some time over the last few weeks preparing for this presentation and she sent pictures from her studio.





"Here at some indigo experiments I have done lately. I am making sure I like my recipe for the indigo/lime/zinc bath, and simplifying the instructions. We will have a lot of fun when we do it together." Dawn



Melissa L samples
 


















"After seeing a  photo of a Harrisville tensioning device, I had to make one.  I made a practice scarf on the loom I haven’t used in 25 years.  The tension device is great!  Thanks to inspiration from Dawn A, I dyed some wool with Goldenrod and will crimp it up—ready to over dye with her indigo. Hoping for green!  Also made samples for the Mary Sue workshop—which I suspect will be postponed.  OK by me—I am way behind.  Thanks all for welcoming me to your your group and for your inspiration!" Melissa L


grandson newfie mitts


"I made my grandson the Newfie mittens on #2 needles and a mixture of yarns. I really like the smaller gauge. The blue is Donna Kallner's indigo dyed yarn"

cochineal dyed scarves
"I also dyed in my cochineal and then eco printed 3 scarves. The iron oxide was a bit heavy, but I like the results!"
 
Karen T









" I’ve been doing a lot of weaving, knitting, photo book making, etc. but I’m getting kind of sick of filling my days with hobbies. I have been doing a lot of weaving with silk.
I went on a two-week trip to Central America in February. The timing of it was extremely lucky
I absolutely adore
Guatemala. I haven’t been there in 45 years but I realize that’s where I fell in love with Weaving. I plan to bring a lot of materials I bought to a guild meeting in Michigan to share. "
 
Melissa M

Melissa M weaving



 Poppy sent some work she has finished lately.

 


















Mary finished her fabric as her plan was to visit the family in California. Which got cancelled because of the Covid -19 outbreak in San Francisco, causing the whole area to be closed down.

She has been busy with weaving and sewing.
"I wish you could feel how soft my wool fabric turned out
after it was washed. After reading Tom Kinsey's article in Handwoven about his Hotel California Cabinet where he stores his special yarn purchases. I was determined to use and not hoard the North Ronaldsay Yarn I purchased in Scotland in 2012. So this fabric is made with 90% North Ronaldsay fiber.  I could smell the ocean and even a faint odor of these lovely sheep while I was weaving."

"The red on my loom is cottolin she is using a 4 shaft Bumberet pattern from Handwoven called Shades of India. Really a fun pattern to weave."
Evie outfit
She also finished making a CA Granddaughter a top and leggings which will have to ship now since " I WILL NOT be going out there for a couple of months."

dress plan

Last of all " I used my hand spun yarn to knit a pair of the Newfie mitts Below. "


Denise Sent me a photo of a knit tunic top she finished over the winter. 


Clare 
"love this! I'm especially happy to see all those Newfie mittens making the rounds. My original pair are in desperate need of mending and/or replacing.

My show and tell are still works in progress. First, a sweater I'm working on for my sister's birthday (was 3/3). I'm stuck on sleeve island (boring!) but knitting a few rounds now. It's the Omba Cardigan on Ravelry. I'm using a nice cotton/wool blend from Green Mountain Spinnery.

I also wound the warp for my jacket project but have no idea when I'll get it on the loom since my husband and I are now sharing studio/office space while he's working from home and we're all housebound. Going simple on the deep blue warp and planning some striking color contrast with the weft. Stay tuned! " Clare
 

Kathie has been weaving with all sorts of colors and yarns. 
 
 


Laura sent us some projects she is working on in Florida

"I am working on wool projects, specially hooking with nontraditional materials and methods.

'Bianca' is hand hooked with wool and spun mohair.
I also attended a great workshop at Searsport Rug Hooking in Rotonda West Florida. Ali Struebel is an inspiration for alternative rug hooking methods. We learned 21 different methods over a 3 day class.

'Bianca'
Leaf to finish


Our next meeting was to be April but it is cancelled due to Corvid19.
stay tuned to see if May will be the same. 

Don't forget to work on your Buellwood Best for 2020 we may get to show them in 2021?

and if you have something to share for show and tell for April look for an email to attach your picture and descriptions and maybe I can put them in a blog next month.

You know you knit too much when.....
You hear that a friend is going through a difficult time, even though this friend does not knit, you consider dropping off a skein of yarn at their house to make them feel better!

Stay Home and Stay Safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!